AJ2019 is the next Australian Jamboree, to be held at The Bend Motorsport Park, Tailem Bend, South Australia in January 2019. It is expected that amongst the Venturers, Rovers and Leaders planning to attend, a number will have family financial circumstances that makes attendance very difficult without financial assistance.
Scouts WA has a small pool for funding for the purpose of supporting Jamboree attendance of Venturers, Rovers and Leaders who are experiencing financial difficulties. This document provides guidance on the procedure for the allocation of available funding to those most in need.
Note there is separate financial assistance for eligible Scouts wishing to attend AJ2019. Information for Scouts wishing to request financial assistance is available here.
Venturers, Rovers and Leaders must make an application for Financial Support using this form. If approved, the financial support will be in the form of a $500 reduction to the participants’ Jamboree fee. Your payment schedule will be updated on status page of the Online Application System.
Please note that all Western Australia Contingent members must have paid their Jamboree fees, in full, by the due date of the final payment (30 September 2018) or they will not be able to attend, unless alternate arrangements have been made with the Contingent Leader.
Group Leaders or relevant line managers may be contacted separately and requested to provide further information if necessary to help us assess your request.
The criteria for financial support for AJ2019 will be as follows:
- Financial support will be in the form of a $500 reduction to the participants’ Jamboree fee. If successful, your payment schedule reflecting the reduced amount will be updated on status page of the Online Application System.
- Financial support will only be considered where a formal written request has been submitted.
- Funds will not be supplied to the recipient – the fee for the recipient will be reduced by the amount of financial support.
- Financial support will be provided for Jamboree and Contingent fee elements only.
- Financial support will be provided only to Venturers, Rovers or Leaders who meet the following eligibility conditions:
- be a registered member of Scouts WA;
- be an active member of Scouts WA willing to contribute to the success of the Jamboree;
- meet relevant Jamboree eligibility requirements
- the Venturer/Rover/Leader (or their parent/guardian if Venturer) must be a Health Care Card holder or must be able to supply documentation to justify their request for assistance.
- the first two Jamboree payments must have been made. If a participant submits a request for financial support that is unsuccessful, and subsequently wishes to withdraw from the Jamboree, a full refund will be made available.
Venturers/Rovers/Leaders wishing to apply for financial support should follow this procedure:
- Complete the Request for Financial Support form available here.
- Obtain a letter of support from your Venturer Leader (if Venturer), Crew Leader (if Rover), or Group Leader/line manager (if Leader). The letter of support should describe how the Western Australia Contingent and the Jamboree would benefit from attendance of the Venturer/Rover/Leader, in addition to how the Jamboree experience would help to meet their individual Scouting needs. The letter should outline how long the Venturer/Rover/Leader has been involved in Scouting, their level of commitment, and any relevant event participations or achievements.
- Email your completed Request for Financial Support form, Letter of Support, and a scanned copy of your Health Care Card or any other documentation which might support your application to Tom Dowsley, Contingent Leader via email at email@example.com by 31 May 2018.
- Receipt of requests will be acknowledged by reply email within three days of submission.
- You will be notified by email whether your request is successful or unsuccessful by the end of June 2018.
If my request for financial support is successful, how much funding will I receive?
All financial support will be in the form of a $500 reduction to your Jamboree fee. If your request is successful, your total payable Jamboree fee will be $1,185.
Do I have to submit an online application to attend the Jamboree before I can request financial support?
If I submit a request for financial support that is unsuccessful, will I be eligible for a full refund if the application if withdrawn?
Yes. Please note that you must make the first two payments ($350 each) in order for your request for financial support to be considered.
When do requests for financial support close?
Requests for financial support close on 31 May 2018. Requests should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
When will we be advised if our request for financial support has been successful?
You will be notified by email whether your request is successful or unsuccessful by the end of June 2018.
Who will assess requests for financial support?
The Contingent Leader, in consultation with the Chief Commissioner, will assess requests for financial support in line with the procedures outlined in this document.
What are the eligibility requirements for Jamboree attendance?
In order to attend the Jamboree as a Venturer, youth members must:
- be registered as a Venturer Scout member at the time of application and through till 16 January 2019
- have completed either the Australian Scout Medallion; OR the Venturing Skills Award; OR Introduction to Venturer Scouts badge, as well as Stage 3 in each of Bushcraft, Bushwalking and Camping
- have a desire to provide service to Scouts
- be recommended by the Unit Council and Venturer Leader as being of excellent character, a good role model to Scouts and has the skills and abilities to undertake the activity (or other tasks) nominated on the application form
- have approval from the Contingent Leader
- have consent from their parents/guardian
- be 15 years of age with at least 6 months service as a Venturer before the opening day of the Jamboree on 4 January 2019, and not have reached their 18th birthday before the closing day of the Jamboree.
In order to attend the Jamboree as a Rover, members must:
- be registered as a Rover member at the time of application and through till 16 January 2019
- be 18 years of age before the opening day of the Jamboree
- be recommended by their Crew Leader as being of excellent character, a good role model to Scouts and has the skills and abilities to undertake the activity (or other tasks) nominated on the application form
- be approved by the Contingent Leader
- not have had their 26th birthday before the opening day of the Jamboree.
In order to attend the Jamboree as a Leader, members must:
- hold a Certificate of Adult Appointment as at 30 September 2018 and through till 16 January 2019
- be recommended by their Group Leader (or leader in charge)
- be recommended by their Sectional Commissioner
- be approved by the Contingent Leader.
Who can I contact if I have questions about financial support?
Send an email to Tom Dowsley, Contingent Leader, at email@example.com.